Sunday, October 28, 2007

I can't believe it's week 6

Wow week six already time is a flying, so ill get right into it. This week was pretty much crazy for all of my classes especially in reportin'. This week the beat projects were do and i was pretty much worked to the wire because people are mad suspicious of everyone these days. They're always asking "What is this for?" or "So your a journalist?" I don't know how to respond to the latter question i'm not a journalist I just write what I see. To be honest the reason I had so much trouble with this assignment was i really just didn't care. Not to say that my neighborhood wasn't interesting or worth reporting on I just have more pressing things to worry about in my life then some neighborhood I would never have gone to if I wasn't being graded on it. The most frustrating thing is the amount of time wasted. I would spend hours in my neighborhood and have very little to show for it. I mean I get it that if I want a job in reporting I need to be able to suck it up and do things I normally wouldn't. So I hope this is just part of the process of becoming a journalist and I dont know if i'll ever be comfortable about saying I'm a journalist until I am one. So in short the beat assignment was uncomfortable and new but good for the long run... I hope. We also did this really weird role playing writing assignment on wednesday. It was kinda cool and I think it was a good way to show how much improvement i've made since week one. That first day we had an assignment and I looked at the computer screen for like 15 minutes doing nothing and then just threw down a story with like ten minutes left. Now when we have a timed writing excerise I don't even get nervous I just black out for 45 minutes and a story busts out. I even had time to read it over a couple times to see if I liked it. I don't know if i got a good grade on it but it was the story I wrote and even if I had four days to write it I don't think much would have changed from my style or the way I wrote the story. Well, this is a short one but I'll write another one in a couple of hours so I wouldn't be too upset about it. Don't Stop believing hold on to that loving feeling.

No comments: