Sunday, October 7, 2007

Gonzo Journalism

So the way I understand this is that one blog is supposed to be about class and the other about something in journalism. Well, recently I read an issue of "Rollingstone Magazine" with a feature on Hunter S. Thompson. It was all about this new book on Thompson but told through the people who knew him. I thought this was a great idea considering the people he rolled with. You could write entire books on the people he used to hang out with so to hear what they had to say about Thompson was really cool. I have read some of his work although not all of it, and I find it incredible what he could get away with. Gonzo journalism is not just writing a story but going to a story and becoming the feature yourself. Although it sounds like a ton of fun, I am not sure if I or anyone for that matter could ever pull off what Thompson did ever again without going to jail or becoming completely insane. I certainly know I couldn't nor do I think I should try to be a Gonzo Journalist. The article did however show me a cool way to write. The book is made of mostly quotes. It really lets the interviewee tell the story instead of the writer. This is a cool way to write a story and it allows for much more work doing the fun stuff like interviewing people who are cooler than you, and there is less filler. So I think it is a cool way to write journalism, but at the same time I know that if you wrote everystory that way it would get ridiculous. Allright I hope I am doing this right. Keep it real

No comments: